A Cuddle-Worthy Cactus
- Children should have adult supervision while using materials that are toxic or objects that are sharp
- Guide you child’s hands closely as needed while they use craft tools and materials
- Children should use safety scissors
You can make a cuddle catus entirely by hand using felt with the seams on the outside. Or take it up a notch using a cotton fabric and machine-sew your cactus, hiding the seams on the inside. Either way, it will be a beautiful ever-blooming treat for your home.
To encourage your children to develop hand strength and pincer grasp (ability to hold small objects with thumb and forefinger) by using crafting tools and materials such as scissors and needle.Download the PDF
- Download of instructions
- Fabric or Felt/Fabric Green for the cactus Yellow and red for the flower top
- Sewing Needle
- Pinning needles
- Download the PDF for pattern
- Trace and cut out paper templates.
- Pin paper template to fabric and cut out four cactus segment pieces and two flower pieces.
- Pin two sets of segment pieces together and sew around the edge with a ¼” seam allowance, leaving the bottom open. Repeat with the remaining two segments.
- Cut notches into the curved edges of your sewn cactus segments. Turn right sides out.
- Lay your two segment pieces together and pin in place. Stitch a line from the top centre to the bottom centre securing the two pieces together.
- With the help of a pencil, fill your four cactus segments with stuffing.
- Whip stitch the bottom of the cactus closed to keep your stuffing in place.
- Trim notches into your cactus flower pieces to make flower petals.
- To create your cactus spines, use a needle and thread to make a small stitch across the seam of your cactus segment, leaving a tail. Stitch through the same spot again, pulling your loop tight. Tie your ends together and trim to the desired length. Stitch as many or as few cactus spines along the edge as you wish.
- Sew your cactus flower in place by stitching through the top of the flower, leaving a tail free. Make a stitch through the top of the cactus segments and through the back of the flower. Pull threads tight and tie free ends together.
- Pop in a pot or small bowl and enjoy!
- If you guide your child to develop a sense of safe possibilities
- Your child will develop a healthy sense of making choices
- If you support your child to gage options
- Your child will develop their own comfort level when making choices
Lacing Hand Print Cactus
Making this cactus craft introduces your child to the art of sewing/lacing. Sewing/lacing requires a lot of hand-eye coordination (eyes and hand working together) to place the needle or lace through each hole.
Fine motor: To encourage your children to develop hand strength and pincer grasp (ability to hold small objects with thumb and forefinger) by using crafting tools and materials such as scissors and needle.
Whenever you order a craft kit online at www.lunenburgmakery.ca from The Lunenburg Makery, a percentage goes directly to funding Easter Seals' programs.
- Egg Carton Garden
- Eggshell Chalk
- Eye Droppers & Coffee Filters
- Fabulous Face Paint
- Finger Paint Name
- Lacing Nature Shapes
- Preschool Painting with Nature
- Camp Badge
- Camp Charm Tag
- Camp T-Shirt Carabiner
- Fox Carabiner Key Ring
- Owl Cabiner Key Ring
- Raccoon Carabiner Key Ring
- Sensory Board Match-Up
- Yarn Ends Mini Woven Hanging