Lacing Nature Shapes
Fine Motor: To strengthen your child’s fine motor and problem solving skills.
This activity will encourage children to strengthen their eye-hand co-ordination as they thread yarn through holes in familiar nature shapes.
You will need:
- Pieces of Bristol board
- Hole Punch
- Mac Tac
- YarnClick the Accessibility bar below for details on materials that can be substituted to make this activity easier for children with a range of abilities.
- Cut different colours of Bristol board into familiar shapes found in nature (i.e. butterfly, leaf, snowflake, fish, cloud, flower) and laminate these with mac tac.
- Using a hole punch, make several holes within the outside edges of each shape. Tie a length of yarn to one of the holes. Wrap a small piece of tape around the end so it can be pushed more easily through each hole.
- Role model pushing and pulling yarn through the holes in the nature shapes. Describe how to hold up the card, grasp and place the end of the yarn into a hole and pull it through.
- Provide support and assistance as needed.
- You are now ready to begin this activity!
The accessibility icon suggests tips, such as materials or tasks, which will make an activity easier for children with a range of abilities to practice skills that support social, emotional, gross motor, fine motor and intellectual developmental milestones.
Click Here For Accessibility Tips
- Spend time with your child by engaging in the activity with them
- Develop their confidence in their abilities as they gain mastery in lacing and sewing
- Explore materials by touching and manipulating them
- Feel encouraged to experiment and make discoveries
Enriching Learning Through the Everyday Moments
- Provide a variety of activities that strengthen fine motor skills such as threading beads, putting pegs in holes, and doing up buttons.
- Provide children with concrete experiences with items from nature. This will give them a foundation for recognizing pictures and cut out shapes.
- A Pocket Of Corduroy by Don Freeman. [Pockets, Sewing, Lacing, Yarning]