Roll the Ball
Gross Motor Development allows a child to gain balance and bring large muscles under control in order to master physical activities such as sitting, crawling, walking, running, climbing, jumping and generally enjoy all that their body allows them to do.
Your baby will strengthen skills like sitting, reaching, catching and rolling.
You will need:
- A soft ball
- Sit on the floor, facing your baby. Ensure that your baby is supported properly with cushions, if needed. Sit with your legs apart and your feet touching your baby’s feet.
- Smile at your baby and tell him you are going to roll the ball to him.
- Roll the ball toward your baby and then encourage him to roll it back to you.
- You and your baby can practice rolling the ball back and forth between your legs.
- Let your baby know how well they are able to catch and roll the ball
- Feel encouraged to keep playing the game with you
- Try different things with the ball as your baby's skill increase
- Enjoy and learn new ideas
- Enjoy this simple game with your baby
- Learn about turn-taking as they practice using the physical skills involved in stopping a moving ball
Everyday Moments: Play Time