Round and Round the Haystack
Intellectual Development means being able to think creatively and abstractly, to pay attention, solve problems and develop keen judgement along with a lifelong readiness to learn.
This fingerplay activity provides you and your baby with a bonding opportunity to learn simple numbers. Your baby will enjoy being tickled as you use your fingers to walk up their arm.
You will need:
- You and your baby
- Sit on the grass on a blanket with your baby sitting in front you as you hold them.
- Get ready to sing a simple number song (below) using your voice and hand:
Words and Actions:
Round and round the haystack
(hold baby’s hand and trace circles on his palm with your finger)
Went the little mouse
One step, two steps
(walk two fingers up baby’s arm)
Into his little house!
(tickle baby under the arm)
- Talk and tickle your baby.
- Feel loved as they respond to your actions.
- Change up your tone of voice as you sing the numbers part.
- Enjoy the attention and different sounds you make with your voice (i.e. high and low voice).
- Provide fingerplay with your baby.
- Learn listening skills and new words about numbers.