Silly Animal Stretches
Gross Motor: To encourage your child to move their body and use their imagination through animal stretches.
This is an activity that will encourage children to use their imaginations as they explore ways to move like different animals.
You will need:
- A carpeted area
- Space for children to move
1. Introduce the activity to the children by suggesting that there are ways we can move our bodies like animals.
2. Children can pretend to be birds by lying on their tummies with their foreheads on the floor and arms and legs wide apart. As they inhale they can slowly lift their heads, and open up their fingers, pretending to fly.
3. Children can pretend to be lions by crossing their eyes, sticking out their tongues as if to touch the tip of their chin and making a roaring sound.
4. Children can pretend to be bees by sitting cross legged, raising their arms out to their sides (keeping them level) and moving them up and down.
5. Children can pretend to be hopping kangaroos by crouching down, with hands held in front like paws, and then inhaling and springing up high!
6. You are now ready to begin this activity!
- Spend time with your child by engaging in the activity with them
- Develop their confidence in their developing physical skills when they participate in creative movement activities
- Pretend to be different objects, animals, and creatures with your child
- Feel encouraged to express their ideas and imaginations
- Move and stretch like different animals
- Feel invited to represent their knowledge about familiar things by using their bodies
Enriching Learning Through the Everyday Moments
- Demonstrate different movements for the children so they can imitate these.
- Encourage children to use and develop confidence in their physical abilities.
- Include creative movement activities such as moving like animals or vehicles so children use their imaginations.
- Post pictures of animals that encourage children to think about how they move and inspire them to imitate those actions. Children can explore moving like small animals, large animals, birds, fish or insects.
• Little Yoga: A Toddler’s First Books of Yoga by Rebecca Whitford and Can You Move Like and Elephant? By Judy Hindley
Everyday Moments: Play Time