This is the Mother
Emotional Development means the development of a full range of emotions from sad to happy to angry, and learning to deal with them appropriately. This helps build self-esteem and leads to such deeper qualities as sympathy, caring, resiliency, assertiveness and empathy and the ability to rise to life’s challenges.
This recognition and language activity allows your baby to enjoy special one-to-one attention and affectionate contact with you. The lullaby is a simple word song that includes family members' names that will build on your baby's self-esteem.
- For each line of the rhyme, gently wiggle each of your baby’s fingers,beginning with the thumb.
- On the last line of the rhyme, kiss your baby’s hand or blow a kiss. The names of other family members (e.g., aunt, cousin, grandma, grandpa, etc.) can be used in this song, and may even be said in your traditional language.)
Words and Actions:
This is the mother
This is the father
This is the brother tall
This is the sister
This is the baby
Oh how we love them all!
- Gently grasp your baby's fingers and recite the rhyme
- Begin to develop affection for others.
- Enjoy time spent together.
- Say the words in the lullaby.
- Discover their fingers can be used for imaginative play.